Personally, I think there are two factors.

First, performance.  A Tesla is a thrill at every stop light (especially if you
are first in line).

Second, commercialization and availability.  Elon Musk had the drive and push
to get his car built and available around the world.  Three years ago, Tesla
was giving test drives and selling cars in Boise, ID.  People in Boise have
never heard of a VLC; much less seen or driven one.

Add in the Tesla SuperCharger network, and it is game over.

I think people want to be environmentally conscious, but fun sells cars.  A fun
car that is efficient enough will win against a more efficient car that isn't
as fun.

Mike