On 28 Sep 2015 at 21:30, Lawrence Rhodes via EV wrote:

> Our budget ev's fail because they are too heavy.

I wasn't going to write anthing more about this subject, but I have to
respond to this.

YOU may consider YOUR budget EVs to be failures, and that's entirely your
right.  Maybe they don't meet your needs.  I have no idea.

But I sure hope you're using the "royal our" there, because you don't get to
make that judgement about other people's EVs.  Thousands of people all over
the world have built short- to medium-range conversion and original EVs that
suit their needs just fine, thank you very much, regardless of what you
think of them.

I'll just add that some folks on this discussion list might indeed buy
hyperefficient EVs.  Maybe I would.  I initially thought the Aptera was a
really interesting idea.  However, we're talking a percentage of about 600
people, which is not exactly survival territory for most automakers.

Hyperefficient and/or onboard PV EVs are a tiny niche of an already small
niche.  And EVs are still a niche product.  We think that Nissan selling
30,200 Leaves last year was a huge success, and it was, but in the same year
Chevrolet sold 34,839 Corvettes, and even GM will tell you that the 'Vette
is a niche vehicle.

So if you want something like Stella, you're probably going to have to build
it yourself.  If you don't want to duplicate Stella, maybe you could find a
copy of the plans for Bob McKee's Sundancer and update the design.  It
managed between 95 and 135 Wh/mi (depending on speed) in 1973.  That was
with lead batteries, a DC motor, and a belt drive.  Just imagine what it
could do with 2015 engineering!  Curiously, its dimensions were quite close
to Stella's (124" long, 40" high, 62" wide).  And, IMO, it was a much more
handsome car than Stella.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EVDL Administrator