I think the key factor is the Cd of .16. While I think lighter vehicles are better for many reasons, it doesn't seem to make that much difference in efficiency unless you are spending most of your time on slow speed city streets.

For example, my Leaf gets about 1.5 - 2.5 miles per kWh (depending on accessories and temperature) on city streets where I live. But if I go 60mph on the freeway, I can sometimes get 4 miles per kWh.

Peri

------ Original Message ------
From: "Lawrence Rhodes via EV" <ev@lists.evdl.org>
To: "ev@lists.evdl.org" <ev@lists.evdl.org>; "ev-requ...@lists.evdl.org" <ev-requ...@lists.evdl.org>
Sent: 28-Sep-15 1:31:45 PM
Subject: [EVDL] EVLN: The Big EV Debate> Go for Small or Big Battery Pack?

The debate should be about light or heavy vehicles and efficiency. If you have an efficient vehicle that is light you might draw 55wh per mile. The typical heavy conversion like the I3 , Leaf, Rav4, IMEV, or any other of the currently available EV's are just too heavy to give good range with a small pack. They all draw 200 or more wh per mile. The I3 is going in the right direction. It has a relatively small pack and is more efficient than all the other competitors. If however you have a light vehicle around a thousand pounds your range will be close to 350 miles with a 16kw battery pack. The vehicle needs to have a CD of about .16. With these specifications you don't have to have a big pack. It will charge in 2.5 hours with a 6.6kw charger. Efficiency and charging time should be the goal. Smaller the pack the quicker the charge. Also the packs will last longer as they are not stressed as much by carrying large weights. Engineering the right combination is what is needed. Not 85kw packs in 5000 pound cars...however they are very comfortable and useful as is and better than the ICE alternative. Lawrence Rhodes