On 15 Oct 2015 at 16:06, Ken Olum via EV wrote:

> main question ...  is "How does the unit manage the charging current
> limit in cases where the connection to Emotorwerks's servers is not
> completely reliable?"

>From their webpage, this appears to be a home EVSE.  So it's not a matter of
billing someone for electricity.  Given that, my questions would be:

1. Why does it need to talk to their servers at all?
2. Why doesn't it have enough onboard processing power to charge an EV?
3. What happens to it if Emotorworks goes out of business?

IMO, if you "buy" a product that won't work properly without its
manufacturer's servers being available to it online, you haven't bought it.
You've bought a temporary, revocable right to use it as directed by the
manufacturer, for as long as they want you to.  If they decide that the
product is obsolete and they want you to buy a new one, they can just tell
it to stop working.  If they go out of business, the gadget quits working
regardless, at least at the feature level advertised.

If they've encrypted its software (many do) and you reverse-engineer it to
get it working again, or to make it work the way you want it to, you're in
violation of the DMCA and they can sic the law on you.

The nice thing about EV conversions is that they don't need fancy $600
networked online charging cords.  They do just fine with a $50 SJ cord and
plug, and a 240v or 120v receptacle.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EVDL Administrator