Just remember, when something is too good to be true it usually is not.  All
the failure modes for new technologies are usually unknown until a production
type device is produced and tested.

________________________________
From: EV <ev-boun...@lists.evdl.org> on behalf of EVDL Administrator via EV
<ev@lists.evdl.org>
Sent: Sunday, October 16, 2016 7:52 AM
To: Electric Vehicle Discussion List
Subject: Re: [EVDL] 2nd life for lithium batteries

On 15 Oct 2016 at 6:14, Mark Abramowitz via EV wrote:

> If you assume that the amount of gold used is the same as amount of silver
> used (it's actually much less), then using gold is actually *cheaper* than
> using silver if the battery lasts 400 times longer

True, but maybe immaterial for EV use.  A 200,000 cycle battery would power
a 200 mile per charge EV for 40 million miles.  At 20,000 miles per year,
that's 2000 years of driving.  You could pass your EV (or at least its
battery) down through 60 or so generations.  Talk about gold as a family
heirloom!

If I read it right, the original article seems to be saying that the gold
isn't active material in the battery (which figures), but rather a carrier
of the active material.  Thus it's not really comparable to a silver-zinc
battery.

It also says that the amount of gold used is "minuscule," but "that would
still make these batteries be expensive to manufacture."  It also postulates
that some cheaper metal might work too.

IF this battery design pans out, and I'm sure it has a LONG way to go before
it will ever be scaled up for production, it seems like the kind of battery
that NASA would use.  But it would in theory have such a long cycle life
(again IF it pans out) that it would far outlast any device it powered, so I
just don't know what its application would be.  IBesides, I suspect that
battery manufacturers would prefer to make batteries that have to be
replaced now and again.  :-(

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EVDL Administrator

About the EVDL: The Electric Vehicle Discussion List, founded in 1991 by EV
enthusiast Clyde Visser, is an active and vital source of information and help
for people ...

About the EVDL: The Electric Vehicle Discussion List, founded in 1991 by EV
enthusiast Clyde Visser, is an active and vital source of information and help
for people ...

lists.evdl.org
The Electric Vehicle Discussion List is a forum for discussing the current
state of the art and future direction of electric vehicles (EVs). We define an
EV as a ...

EVDL EV News Archive - Electric Vehicle Discussion List<http://evdl.org/evln/>
evdl.org
EVLN - EV News Archive Edited by Bruce {EVangel} Parmenter: EVLN: home | help |
archive | news | privacy policy | terms of service

groups.yahoo.com
/