On 16 Oct 2016 at 15:57, Michael Ross via EV wrote:

> It is hard to knock a battery with nearly infinite cycles.

Unless you're a battery manufacturer ...

A battery that never needs to be replaced would be a real game changer for
the business.  I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think any manufacturer would
touch it for fear of losing their replacement business.

Maybe you've noticed that as LED retrofit light bulbs have fallen in price,
their rated lifetimes have gotten shorter.  The early ones were rated for
50,000 average hours; many now are rated for 10,000-20,000 hours.  The same
thing happened with compact fluorescents, which quickly declined from 10,000
hours to 6,000.

This parallels what happened with incandescent light bulbs.  When mass
production tungsten filament bulbs first came on the market, they burned for
~2500 hours.  Then the manufacturers formed a cartel and agreed to limit
their bulbs' lives to 1000 hours.

I suppose it sounds cynical, but I expect that if this battery ever makes it
to the market, it will have a deliberately limited lifetime.  I can see them
making several different versions, identical except for price and the
configuration of the built-in self-destruct mechanism.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EVDL Administrator