It is hard to knock a battery with nearly infinite cycles. Even the
theoretical possibility means incredible potential.  Just because the EV
wears out, does not mean the battery is not worth having - the next 50
generations would not have to reproduce or recycle that battery.

If you get to amortize a fixed cost for a very long time, it becomes nearly
cost free in a very real sense.  But it you insist on viewing it only in a
personal time frame you miss out on something awesome on a racial time scale

That said, I doubt all lab cell constructions until they become
manufacturable. Until that point they are useless trivia.  I hope someone
backrolls this until it is clearly out of any realm of possibility.

On Sun, Oct 16, 2016 at 10:52 AM, EVDL Administrator via EV <
ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:

> On 15 Oct 2016 at 6:14, Mark Abramowitz via EV wrote:
>
> > If you assume that the amount of gold used is the same as amount of
> silver
> > used (it's actually much less), then using gold is actually *cheaper*
> than
> > using silver if the battery lasts 400 times longer
>
> True, but maybe immaterial for EV use.  A 200,000 cycle battery would power
> a 200 mile per charge EV for 40 million miles.  At 20,000 miles per year,
> that's 2000 years of driving.  You could pass your EV (or at least its
> battery) down through 60 or so generations.  Talk about gold as a family
> heirloom!
>
> If I read it right, the original article seems to be saying that the gold
> isn't active material in the battery (which figures), but rather a carrier
> of the active material.  Thus it's not really comparable to a silver-zinc
> battery.
>
> It also says that the amount of gold used is "minuscule," but "that would
> still make these batteries be expensive to manufacture."  It also
> postulates
> that some cheaper metal might work too.
>
> IF this battery design pans out, and I'm sure it has a LONG way to go
> before
> it will ever be scaled up for production, it seems like the kind of battery
> that NASA would use.  But it would in theory have such a long cycle life
> (again IF it pans out) that it would far outlast any device it powered, so
> just don't know what its application would be.  IBesides, I suspect that
> battery manufacturers would prefer to make batteries that have to be
> replaced now and again.  :-(
>
> David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
> EVDL Administrator

> group/NEDRA)