Peri & All,

I recall addressing this fear about a decade ago when it the fear was being
pushed by mainstream media.
The reality is no different than events that have occurred many times since
the inception of the electrical grid. It is interesting that the utilities
seem to do their best to avoid this conversation.
Some that we might recall were the fears about every house having a
refrigerator and washing machine, then it was the clothes dryer, followed
by microwave ovens & hand held appliances and the hot tub craze, followed
by the air conditioner installations. The air conditioners do have a
noticeable effect on the grid due to a few factors (1. Grid already
stressed due to over heating. 2. Large numbers in a region using the device
at the same time (large, continuous inrush currents). 3. Extended periods
of load for each device (in excess of 4 hours each).)
The previous example share the relatively short, staggered inrush current
events, followed by lower power demands, which are barely noticeable,
according to the utilities themselves, since most L2 units use the same
amount of power per use as the average clothes dryer.

Tom True

--
Remember, it is not that the glass is half empty, in reality, the glass is
merely twice the size that it needs to be! -TNT'82