Yes, a model 3 is considered a mid-sized luxury car.

      From: Peri Hartman via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org>
 To: Electric Vehicle Discussion List <ev@lists.evdl.org>; ev@lists.evdl.org
Cc: Peri Hartman <pe...@kotatko.com>
 Sent: Sunday, October 14, 2018 8:28 PM
 Subject: Re: [EVDL] Why I Won't Buy a Tesla, Edison-Tesla Deja Vu

According to this website, the average total price paid for a new car is
$31500.
https://www.concannonbc.com/how-much-does-a-typical-american-actually-pay-for-a-car/

That average includes luxury models so I suspect the median price is
somewhat lower. Either way, I would consider 46K substantially higher,
meaning high priced for the average buyer of a new car.

Peri