It occurs to me that:

1. Apple is like Tesla.

= Expensive
= Goes fast and far
= Gorgeous, polished, elegant, smoothly integrated hardware & software
= Only manufacturer-approved hardware and software add-ons are possible
= Everything just works, almost flawlessly, including official add-ons
= Most users need and use pricey official repair and upgrade depots
= Out of warranty service is extremely expensive, often better to replace
= Online resources tend to talk about how satisfying they are

2. Windows is like most other production EVs.

= Cheaper (but you may pay with your privacy and/or resale value)
= Goes fast enough and far enough
= Somewhat integrated hardware and software but you may get junkware
= You can get HW/SW add-ons on Ebay but you may need help installing
= Can DIY repairs if you have some background and search engine skills
= Out of warranty service is available at some neighborhood shops
= Online resources tend toward tech tips

3. Linux and BSD are like conversions.

= Free and open source software; can use dumpster / salvage hardware
= Goes as fast and as far as you design it to
= You build it yourself
= Add ons are cheap or free but not all work and you need online help
= Must fix it yourself, better know what you're doing
= Out of warranty service is up to you
= Online resources are about 100% technical help

I've generalized quite a bit above, so please forgive me.  However, I think
that the parallels are striking.

I'm sure there are exceptions, but I suspect that if you love Apple devices
and turn up your nose at clunkier but much more open Windows / Android /
Linux gedgets, you probably gravitate toward Tesla over Leaf, Bolt, or Kona,
to say nothing of conversions.

To reach me, don't reply to this message; I won't get it.  Use my

     There is a war between the rich and poor,
     A war between the man and the woman.
     There is a war between the left and right,
     A war between the black and white,
     A war between the odd and the even.
     There is a war between the ones who say there is a war
     And the ones who say there isn't.
     Why don't you come on back to the war, pick up your tiny burden.
     Why don't you come on back to the war, let's all get even.

                                -- Leonard Cohen