If you're a little bit handy, you can hack a fridge/freezer defrost heater
to gain manual control over it. Then you can force it off to keep peak
loads down, or force it on to address heavy icing that the normal defrost
cycle isn't able to handle. (Either because normal defrost is insufficient,
or because the defrost control board no longer activates defrost like it
should).

Manual control can be as simple as extending the heater power leads to an
accessible place in the fridge where they can be disconnected from the
normal circuit.

One symptom of a defrost control issue is a very very cold freezer
compartment with a simultaneously warm fridge compartment, with ice
blocking the air channels between the two areas. The slow, hours-long way
to treat that situation is to empty and thaw out the whole appliance. The
fast way is to force the defrost heater to melt all the built up ice by
running it longer than the default controls. The heater and ice situation
should be monitored closely if the heater is being manually activated.