As I understand it, 110 volts was chosen because an arc light operates at 55 volts, and thus two of them in series would work well.

I believe Europe started out at 110/120, and moved up to 220/240 to reduce the need for copper, esp. after WWII. When I lived in Europe in the 1960s, I traveled to places in France and Italy that had 110/120. And I recall reading a posting from a German electrical worker describing what they did to convert a village from 110 to 220.

And here's a writeup in voltages in Italy:
https://samuele963.github.io/electrics/history.html

Steve Gaarder