On 20 Oct 2008, at 01:03, Alexander Limi wrote:

On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 8:02 AM, Nate Aune <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 10:05 PM, Gerry Kirk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: Indeed, thanks for taking the lead on this Constance. My favourite slide is the $50k one too. :)

Yes, this is visually a very powerful way to show the differences between commercially licensed CMSes and customizable open source CMSes. I think it's important however to clarify what we mean by customization, as Matt Hamilton mentioned at the "So you want to be a Plone consultant" panel discussion that when customers see how much money goes towards customization, they assume that the CMS must not have very much out-of-the-box functionality, and therefore needs a lot of customization.

Maybe "integration" is better than "customization"?

I think integration is a bit more of a loaded word. I can imagine many potential customers saying 'but I don't need any integration!'. I really like the graph, but yes I think we need a way to better show proportions and what you are getting. I think most of us here would agree that with OSS the total cost would be lower, so I'm wondering if we might want to not have 50K for both. The problem then is what *do* we say for both... as we are just showing example indicative costs of some theoretical project....

-Matt

--
Matt Hamilton                                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]