Another thought on the Bayesian / SSA argument. Suppose (recent cosmological
discoveries aside) that we discovered that the universe
was going to fall back on itself into a big crunch in, say, 1 googol years' time. In
such a universe QTI could still operate, but
would only operate until the big crunch, which would act as a cul-de-sac. Now the SSA
would say that typically you'd "expect to find
yourself" (whatever that means) with an age around 0.5 googol, but that nevertheless
there was a finite chance that you'd "find
yourself" at age, say, 20. So assuming the SSA is valid for a moment, it wouldn't rule
out QTI (although it would make it seem
rather unlikely) if we discussed it when aged 20 in a closed universe. But it would be
*impossible* if had the same discussion in an
open universe! Odd that the average density of our branch of the multiverse should
make all the difference to a theory based on the
MWI . . . odd too (though not impossible) that the distant future history of the
universe should determine the probability of events
in the present . . .

(BTW, would I be right in thinking that, applying the SSA to a person who "finds
himself" to be 1 year old, the chances that he'll
live to be 80 is 1/80?)

Charles

http://parallel.hpc.unsw.edu.au/rks