Re wrapping around - I've set MS Outlook to wrap at 132 characters (the largest value
it will accept). It insists that I wrap
somewhere (unfortunately). If you know any way to improve the situation let me know (I
often go through and manually stick together
the short lines). I could miss out the >'s on quoted bits, but that might be
confusing....

Re the SWE versus logical consistency. I suspect that at some deep level the two might
become the same thing. If you are thinking of
logical consistency from the pov of a conscious observer, I'm not sure what that
entails. Is it logically consistent to find that
you're "really" a 30-D octopus playing a 3D virtual reality game? I suppose it might
be... But then I'm not sure what LC consists of
on this argument. It can't consist of continuity or a lack of surprises!

Using the SWE is definitely basing the argument on the known laws of QM, if not GR.
The underlying assumption of the MWI is that the
SWE describes *everything* (or that it's a very good approximation to the real
explanation). Since QTI is based on the MWI, it has
to assume the SWE as its basis, I would say. Logical consistency is probably a "lower
level" requirement that in some manner
generates the SWE (according to comp. theory at least). But if we're operating on the
level of QM and not worrying about what goes
on "underneath" then I'd say the SWE has got to be the basis of QTI.

However I must admit I don't see how using the SWE limits the size of the multiverse.
The SWE predicts a continuum of resultant
states from a given initial states, which leads me to assume that (if the MWI is
correct) the multiverse must contain a continuum /
uncountable infinity of states. If that's a limit it's a fairly large one by most
standards!

Re logically possible vs physically possible universes. The "set" (or whatever one
shoud call it) of all logically possible
universes is called Platonia by Julian Barbour. The "set" of all physically possible
universes with the same laws of physics as ours
(plus some extra information, as David Deutsch has pointed out) is called the
Multiverse. Platonia is either as big as the MV (both
being continua) or bigger (a higher order of infinity than the Multiverse).

All the above assumes the MWI is correct (evidence: quantum interference), and that
Platonia exists (evidence (?) : the weak
anthropic principle).

Charles