In my paper "Why Occam's Razor", I identify a postulate called the
"projection postulate", which in words is something like "An observer
necessarily projects out an actual from the space of possibilities"
Mathematically, this corresponds to choosing a subset from the set of
all descriptions.

My paper shows in essence P+T+K => QM (projection postulate + time
postulate + Kolmogorov probability axioms implies quantum mechanics).

Apparently (not that I'm any expert on these matters) Kant tried to
derive Classical dynamics by introducing this as a "necessary prior",
so its quite possible that this idea is not at all new.

                                                Cheers

Stephen Paul King wrote:

> Dear Russell,
>
>     Bingo! But can a method of definig the "subsethood" be defined? What
> distinguishes one subset from another?
>
> Kindest regards,
>
> Stephen

A/Prof Russell Standish                  Director
High Performance Computing Support Unit, Phone 9385 6967, 8308 3119 (mobile)
UNSW SYDNEY 2052                         Fax   9385 6965, 0425 253119 (")