Stephen Paul King wrote:

Dear Russell,

   Neat! I have been thinking of this idea in terms of a "very weak
anthropic principle" and a "communication principle". Roughtly these are:
"All observations by an observer are only those that do not contradict the
existence of the observer" and "any communication is only that which
mutually consistent with the existence of the communicators". I will read
you paper again. ;-)

Yes! That's exactly it.

Now how about this. Observers are not constrained to observe a single path
through "potential-state" space, but rather, are constrained to only observe )and
communicate via) one of the paths (or all of the paths) that remain consistent with
existence. So there is room for (a limited form of) free will and limited observation
of quantum uncertainty in these theories, if necessary.