Tom Caylor wrote:
> Brent Meeker wrote:
>> Stathis Papaioannou wrote:

>>> What if the set of all mathematically consistent universes were actually,
>>> physically instatiated?
>>> My point is that physical instantiation per se does not solve the HP
>>> problem, unless we say that
>>> only the non-HP universes are instantiated, making "multiverse" narrower
>>> than "all mathematically
>>> consistent universes". I gather that Tegmark's grand ensembles are not
>>> mainstream physics, even
>>> among those who accept the MWI.
>> The MWI posits multiple worlds in which every evolution of the world
>> consistent with quantum physics is realized - it's really just one Hilbert
>> space and the "multiple" arises only because macroscopically different
>> worlds are projected onto orthogonal subspaces.  But it is assumed that
>> evolution in this Hilbert space is due to one Hamiltonian with specific
>> values of coupling constants etc.  Tegmark's "all mathematically consistent"
>> universes would seem to include a Newtonian universe, an Aristotelean
>> universe, a Biblical universe, and in fact any universe that didn't include
>> a flat contradiction, X and not-X.
>>
>> Brent Meeker
>
> The "set of all mathematically consistent universes", i.e. defined by
> NOT(X and not-X), is very telling.  A universe has to have some kind of
> coordinate/reference system and/or language/units in order for a
> property or predicate X to be able to be well-defined enough to define
> not-X.

No.  All it needs is one proposition as an axiom and the ability to negate a
proposition and to form the disjunction of two propositions.

>But once that is done, and it is determined that not-X does not
> hold,

Under most rules of inference (not-X does not hold) => X.

>then there exists a change to the coordinate system or language
> that results in X and not-X.

Most mathematical structures don't admit a coordinate system.  I don't know
what you mean by "a change of language" but I suspect it is not permitted by
the rules of inference.

Brent Meeker