Brent Meeker writes:

> > > Assuming that consciousness supervenes on the physics, this follows > >
> > > just from the continuity of the physics. But it doesn't follow that > >
> > > there is some experience corresponding to 1msec of brain processing - it
> > > That's true, but it still allows that the process underpinning > >
> > > consciousness can be arbitrarily divided up. I think others on the list >
> > > slices, > > even though you can't actually observe anything during one of
> > > them.> > > > Stathis Papaioannou> > OK, but that means "observer moments"
> > > are not fundamental and the "illusion" of their continuity may be
> > > provided by the continuity of their underpinning. But I don't see how a
> > > strictly stepwise discrete process as contemplated in the UD can provide
> > > that continuity. It was my understanding that it assumed consciousness
> > > could be provided by a series of disjoint states.> > Brent Meeker
It's an assumption of computationalism that the discrete computational steps
will lead to continuity of consciousness. Moreover, it's an assumption of
computationalism that a discontinuity in substrate of implementation (i.e. from
brain to digital computer) will preserve continuity of consciousness.

Stathis Papaioannou