On 3/16/07, Bruno Marchal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I don't know what you mean by a physical knots. In any case the
> identity of a knots (mathematical, physical) rely in its topology, not
> in such or such cartesian picture, even the "concrete" knots I put in
> my pocket. The knots looses its identity if it is cut.

There are related examples, like letters of the alphabet, which survive even
non-topological transformations and defy any algorithmic specification.
Nevertheless, any particular concrete example of a knotted string or letter
on a page is completely captured by a physical description. There is no
special knottiness or letterness ingredient that needs to be added to ensure
that they are knots or letters.

Stathis Papaioannou