Le 30-nov.-07, à 20:21, Torgny Tholerus a écrit :

> Why can't our universe be modelled by a cellular automata?

By UDA, this is just  a priori impossible.

What *is* still possible, is that you can "modelize" the emergence of
the appearance of a universe by modelling, with a cellular automata, a
couple "observer + a quantum cellular automata", or by modelling all
possible observers through universal dovetaling. Normally the
appearance of the quantum will be generated as well.

If you are a machine, the physical universe (the sharable third person
pov) is not describable in term of working machine. Unless you are the
whole universe yourself, which I doubt.
If, you are the whole universe, and if you (the universe) exist, and if
comp is false and ultrafinitism true, then you are right. But then,
about the mind body problem, you are reintroducing the material bullet
making even impossible to really addressed the question. Imo: it would
be a regression.

This comment assumes a good understanding of the seven first steps of
the UDA.

> Our universe
> is very complicated, but why can't it be modelled by a very complicated
> automata?

Because, by assuming comp, the (physical) universe has to emerge non
locally from an infinity of infinite computations.

> An automata where you have models for protons and electrons
> and photons and all other elementary particles, that obey the same laws
> as the particles in our universe?

Of course I talk here on exact emulation. FAPP, you can simulate
electron and photon. About  "reality", I am not even sure there are
photons and electrons, we have non local (in our local
histories/branches) wavy interacting fields.
Note that Newton's law, taken seriously enough, are also not turing
emulable, like almost everything in naïve math.