Thanks Russell, I will take a look. At first sight he makes the same
"error" with numbers that Wolfram makes with cellular automata. Those
are still mathematical form of physicalism, incompatible with the
mechanist thesis in the cognitive science. Of course we converge
toward rather similar (recursively isomorphic or weakened) ontologies.
But they seems to believe they can recover some physics from that,
where, saying "yes" to the surgeon requires to abandon that very idea.
Physics, like in Plato and Plotinus, is not a mathematical structure
among others, it is a mathematical structure which relate all
mathematical structures in a precise way. Physics is somehow much more
fundamental than being a thing completely describable by a set of
mechanical laws.
Pu in another way, such theories are unaware of the mind-body problem
and still use an identity relation between a mind and a implementation
of a program which UDA forces to abandon, to be frank.
This does not mean those works are uninteresting of course, and they
may play some role in the unravelling of the Minds and Bodies
problems. Sure.

Bruno