Ronald,

On 14 May 2009, at 13:19, Ronald (ronaldheld) wrote:

> Can you explain your Physics statement in more detail, which I can
> understand?

UDA *is* the detailed explanation of that "physics statement". So it
would be simpler if you could tell me at which step you have a problem
of understanding, or an objection, or something. You can search UDA in
the archives for older or more recent versions,  or read my SANE2004
paper:

http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/~marchal/publications/SANE2004MARCHALAbstract.html

In a nutshell, the idea is the following. If we are machine we are
duplicable. If we distinguish the first person by their personal
memories, sufficiently introspective machine can deduce that they
cannot predict with certainty they personal future in either self-
duplicating experience, or in "many-identical-states preparation" like
a concrete universal dovetailer would do "all the time".
So, if you are concretely in front of a concrete universal dovetailer,
with the guaranty it will never stop (in some steady universe à-la
Hoyle for example), you are in a high state of first person
indeterminacy, given that the universal dovetailer will execute all
the computations going through your actual state. Sometimes I have to
remind the step 5 for helping the understanding here. In that state,
from a first person perspective you don't know in which computational
history you belong, but you can believe (as far as you are willing to
believe in comp) that there are infinitely many of them. If you agree
to identify an history by its infinite steps, or if you accept the Y =
II principle (that if a story bifurcate," Y ", you multiply their
similar comp-past, so Y gives  II), then you can understand that the
cardinal (number) of your histories going through you actual state is
2^aleph_zero. It is a continuum. Of course you can first person
distinguish only a enumerable quotient of it, and even just a finite
part of that enumeration.  "Stable consciousness" need deep stories
(very long yet redundant stories, it is deep in Bennett sense) and a
notion of linear multiplication of independent stories.
Now the laws of arithmetic provides exactly this, and so you can, with
OCCAM just jump to AUDA, but you have to study one or two book of
mathematical logic and computer science before. (the best are Epstein
& Carnielli, or Boolos, Burgess and Jeffrey).
Or, much easier, but not so easy, meditate on the eighth step of UDA,
which shows that form their first point of view universal machine
cannot distinguish "real" from "virtual", but they cannot distinguish
"real" from "arithmetical" either, so that the arithmetical realm
defines the intrinsic first person indeterminacy of any universal
machine. Actually the eighth step shows that comp falsifies the usual
mind/physical-machine identity thesis, but it does not falsify a
weaker mind/many-mathematical machines thesis.

If interested I suggest you study UDA in Sane2004, and ask any
questions, or find a flaw  etc.
(or wait for a more recent version I have yet to put on my page)

Thanks for the reference to Kent's paper (it illustrates very well the
knotty problems you get into when you keep Everett, materialism and
the identity thesis, but I have read it only diagonally just now).

Hope this helped a bit.

Bruno