And HP stands for???

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Nyman" <david.ny...@gmail.com>
To: <everything-list@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Thursday, September 24, 2009 9:50 AM
Subject: Re: Dreaming On

2009/9/24 Flammarion <peterdjo...@yahoo.com>:

> Another point that has got rather lost here is that computationalists
> tend to be a lot more concerned about cognition than experience, CTM
> has no trouble explaining how people play chess.

It hasn't got lost - e.g. two sentences later I said "I have no
quarrel with the third-person
notion of computational realisation per se".  Nobody has been
disputing the purely third-person analysis of physical systems in
computational terms.  Under your own definition of mathematical
formalism, such an analysis is an interpretation of a fundamental
physical state of affairs that has utility for certain purposes.
Interpretation of the physical state of affairs "people playing chess"
in functional terms might be one of them, although this may still beg
some unresolved questions - e.g. the relevance of consciousness in the
HP sense to people's ability to play chess.

David