> Lets consider two "hard" questions - "why do we live in THIS
> universe?" (1) and "why am I me?" (2).
>
> (1) . Why do we live in THIS universe?
>
> Here we got:
> - string theory and anthropic reasoning present us with a landscape of
> 10^(10^N) universes that we can choose from.
> - we've got some strong constraints on the result of the choice. The
> choice can be random (or defined by some probability distribution on
> the set of all possible universes), but we should live in the universe
> compatible with our existence.
>
> Conclusion: we can't answer 'hard' question 'Why physical laws are
> described by string (M, F, whatever) theory, but we can at least ask
> more 'soft' question - 'Why from the set of all possible universes
> described by theory T the chosen one is this one". And this question
> sounds scientific and it seems that it should be answered before we
> can answer thr hard one.
>
> (2). Why am I me?
> Here we got nothing (?):
> - what is a "landscape" here, a set of all possible mes? All the
> people? All the people that ever lived and will ever live? All the
> animals? All the conscious entities? And here we stuck cause we don't
> know excatly what entity is conscious and what is not. Or, maybe the
> set contains only ONE element (only one 1st person exists ...) and
> there is no choice at all?
> - what are constraints? What machine can 'host' me (conscious entity) ?

Sorry, I forgot the questions themselves:

1. Can we temporarily substitute the 'hard' question "why am I me?" by
the more 'soft' one,
like the question of choice in some 'level 3 tegmarkian multiverse' of
all possible mes ?

2. Can we reduce "why am I me?" to the question of choice on the some set?

3. What is the 'hardest' question that is still scientific? In other
words, that is the most rigorous reformulation of "why I am me?" that
could be asked and maybe even answered by modern science in the
nearest future?