2010/1/12 Brent Meeker <meeke...@dslextreme.com>

> [...]
>>        artificial neurons are zombies, since that would lead to absurd
>>        conclusions about the nature of consciousness.) From the
>>        single neuron
>>        we can progress to replacing the whole brain, the end result
>>        being a
>>        computer program interacting with the outside world through
>>        sensors
>>        and effectors. The program can be implemented in any way - any
>>        language, any hardware - and the consciousness of the subject will
>>        remain the same as long as the brain behaviour remains the same.
>>

>>    You're asserting that neuron I/O replication is the "appropriate
>>    level" to make "brain behavior" the same; and I tend to agree that
>>    would be sufficient (though perhaps not necessary).  But that's
>>    preserving a particular algorithm; one more specific than the
>>    Platonic computation of its equivalence class.  I suppose a Turing
>>    machine could perform the same computation, but it would perform
>>    it very differently.  And I wonder how the Turing machine would
>>    manage perception.  The organs of perception would have their
>>    the TM on different tapes?  I think this illustrates my point
>>    that, while preservation of consciousness under the digital neuron
>>    substitution seems plausible, there is still another leap in
>>    substituting an abstract computation for the digital neurons.
>>
>>    Also, such an AI brain would not permit slicing the computations
>>    into arbitrarily short time periods because there is communication
>>    time involved and neurons run asynchronously.
>>

>> Yes you can, freeze the computation, dump memory... then load memory back,
>> and defreeze. If the time inside the computation is an internal feature (a
>> counter inside the program), the AI associated to the computation cannot
>> notice anything if on the other hand the time inside of the computation is
>> an input parameter from some external then it can notice... but I always can
>> englobe the whole thing and feed that external time from another program or
>> whatever.
>>
> That assumes that the AI brain is running synchronously, i.e. at a clock
> rate small compared to c/R where R is the radius of the brain.  But I think
> the real brain runs asynchronously, so if the AI brain must do the
> simulation at a lower level to take account of transmission times, etc. and
> run at a much higher clock rate than do neurons.  But is it then still "the
> same" computation?
>

>> The fact that you can disrupt a computation and restart it with some
>> different parameters doesn't mean you can't restart it with *exactly* the
>> same parameters as when you froze it.
>>

> That's arbitrarily excluding the physical steps in "freezing" and
> "starting" a computation, as though you can pick out the "real" computation
> as separate from the physical processes.  Which is the same as assuming that
> consciousness attaches to the Platonic "real" computation and those extra
> physical steps somehow don't count as "computations".

But it is the same... When I write a program in say java... that's not my
"program"  that is run on the machine, it is a translation in the target
machine language. Yet it is the same, that's what we use UTM for.

Also the restarted computation has no knowledge at all of having been
freezed and restarted in the first place.

Quentin