Dear John,

In Kabbalah letters are numbers and vice versa.

Regarding your question of what is the meaning of the Name of God, if
you ask me, I think it is meaningless. It is pure, full presence. It
is up to us to predicate something out of it and to turn it
meaningful. Due to its claim of totality, the Name of God is also
absurd. It is one thing and it's opposite at the same time. I am not
sure how this relates to the multiverse. I think its infinite
possibilities of predication and meaningfulness could be the
linguistic expression of all possible universes. Someone more daring
(Derrida?) would say that they ARE all possible universes.

> Is God a product of numbers, or are numbers product of God?

What answer would you like the most? I guess it depends on what kind
of God you believe in, if you believe in God at all. I -although very
un-Jewish- do not believe in a personal God, though I clearly see the
virtues of a personal relationship with God. I think there are ways to
scape the either/or trap. God and numbers (and letters) could be one
and the same thing: God - the Number of God - the Name of God. I don't
have an answer, I just hope I can offer you more alternatives -and in
this way escape the excruciating dilemma ;)

> How does my question relate to Kabbalah? I consider 'mysticism' a subchapter
> of our ignorance: once we learn the explanation it ceases to be mystical.

Notwithstanding your definition, more and more I tend to think that
breakthroughs in science are based on irrational intuitions proved by
rational methods. Kabbalists and other mystics had the insights and
their own set of tools to proof their point (their own experiences,
for instance). They were similar to modern day physicists in the sense
that they needed a creative spark to come to their hypothesis. Their
ways depart when it comes to the method of proving these hypotheses
correct. My question is if they meet again, somewhere, when it comes
to reach conclusions.

For me it is rather telling that kabbalistic ideas (probably from
Sefer Yetzirah, maybe from Abulafia) influenced Borges and that
through Borges they shaped ideas of the multiverse or the Library of
Mendel, as described in Daniel Dennet's book "Darwin's dangerous
idea".

With your help maybe we can bring this fruitful cooperation one step
further!

> So is there a 'definition' below ( 22^22 ! ) letters long?

There is a shorter definition, if you take only the 22 letters of the
alphabet and consider each one of them a different Name of God. If you
want even a shorter one, what about this: 0 and 1.

Yours truly,

R. Rabbit