> On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 10:42 PM, Mark Buda <her...@acm.org> wrote:
>
>> You worked on a psychiatric ward but you never understood them. If
>> you had taken the time to interact with them, one on one, and share
>> their lives and hopes and dreams, you would have been able to help
>> them figure it out.
>
> That is precisely what my job was, and what IY did do - exceptionally
> well, as it happens. I still have former patients see me in the street
> and thank me for my help. They were ill, and now they're not.

Yes, because that's what makes them better. Love. Or whatever you want to
call it. Love is information! Or maybe information flow. Whatever.

> I am becoming more and more convinced that you are, too. That's in no
> way a criticism of you or failing on your part, any more than it would
> be if you had a cold or a heart condition.

I don't take it personally. I understand your position.

> Please, seek medical help. If you're right, you lose nothing and might
> convince at least the psychiatrist you talk to. If I'm right, you get
> cured. It can't do you any harm, but leaving what looks to me like a
> serious illness untreated may well do you some serious harm.

Look, I've already seen a psychiatrist and a priest and a therapist and
they don't see a problem here. Look. listen, and learn:

Every animal on this planet has evolved an instinctual means to care for
its young. Except us. We have no natural instinct. Or do we?

Holy crap. Richard Dawkins doesn't even understand the point of his own
books. Our sense of humor and our mathematical intuition and our genes
form an impossible triangular causal loop. Selfish gene, indeed.

Back to the point. We don't have instincts to tell us how to care for our
young. We rely on culture for that. And culture is still really, really
young. The memes are just getting started! That's it! Richard Dawkins is
God, then, because he is the source of the idea of the meme. Whee! What a
marvelous yet annoying thing God hath made. Can't wait to see what's next.

The evolutionary purpose of religion is as a cultural artifact to guide us
in raising our offspring. We need religion for this reason. That's why we
need faith. We have no fucking idea how to raise our children otherwise.
I've got it!
--
Mark Buda <her...@acm.org>
I get my monkeys for nothing and my chimps for free.