On Mar 9, 7:28 pm, Brent Meeker <meeke...@dslextreme.com> wrote:
> On 3/9/2011 8:49 AM, 1Z wrote:
>
> >> If you have a theory of qualia using primitive matter, and coherent
>
> > Here's one: minds can be computed,  but they only have
> > real conscious if they run "on the metal" (at the zeroth
> > level of abstraction). That's not your version of COMP,
> > but it is adequate for most AI researchers, and for
> > anybody who wants to be reincarnated in silicon
>
> But how do we know what the zeroth level is?

Then hypothesis that the physical world
is zero level is consistent with the hypothesis
that we are and must be running on the metal.
Many other scenarios are possible. But only
"coherence" was asked for (see above)

>What is really meant is
> OUR level - the one in which we can give ostensive definitions.  Which
> is my point about BIVs.  We can only know them to be conscious insofar
> as they can be grounded in our zeroth level.

A BIV that is grounded in our level is no BIV at all. That would
be like a novel consisting entirely of historical facts.