On 5/1/2011 7:08 AM, smi...@zonnet.nl wrote:
I think that in this discussion one is assuming that the classical picture of an OM applies and that then leads to the false notion that you need to look at a sequence of states. But this is completely false. Obviously the brain is effectively classical, but classicality from quantum dynamics is only achived because of decoherence, so the brain gets entangled with the environment. The same is true, of course, if you run any classical machine, like your PC.

Now, the computational state of your brain, represented as an entangled state with the environment, can be written in the suggestive form:

sum over input of |input, corresponding output>

In fact, the entire computational history will be present in the state, as it exist at any moment.

I don't see how that can be. Simply from an informational perspective, the computational history can have a lot more bits than the digitized brain can store as a state - at least as a classical system. I think you must be including all the information that exists in the environment due to interaction with the brain. This of course has been spreading out from the brain at the speed of light; so it's not clear to me where this history starts. With birth? At the big bang? At the last Everett split? At the last Everett split that corresponds to a different quasi-classical "thought??

Brent

This is why I think that in Bruno's program, which apart from the technical details, involves deriving physics from the theory of computation, one can jump to quantum mechanics much more straightforwardly. Also, since decoherence happens in the position bases, one should be able to derive space-time from first principles as well. Simply put, if you have well defined computational states, you should get quantum mechanics plus general relativity free of charge.

Saibal