On 06 May 2011, at 18:43, Brent Meeker wrote: [On the everything list]

On Tue, May 03, 2011 at 03:31:50PM -0400, John Mikes wrote:

Russell,

this is my personal way of thinking in realization of the continual
epistemic enrichment what earlier authors missed. I do not vouch for
correctness of my ideas, they are like a level in an advancement I found followable in view of the latest epistemic additions in a continuously
changing world(view).
Self-awareness is definitely at the level of human complexity.

There is evidence of self-awareness in a handful of other species,
including most of the great apes, bottlenose dolphins and asian
elephants. Many of these same species appear capable of developing
rudimentary language capability.

I would not be surprised to see a number of other species also show
evidence of self-awareness in time - including some birds, and maybe
even some cephalopods. However, I am also equally sure that most
species are incapable of it - too many species fail the tests we pose
of them.

Principal, High Performance Coders

http://www.theonion.com/video/scientists-successfully-teach-gorilla-it-will-die,17165/

Hard to really conclude from one video, but it is still very interesting. I forward it on the FOR list where some people argue that non human animals are not conscious. This video illustrates that some non-human mammals might even be *self-conscious*, and thus probably "Löbian". Next step: we should give some salvia to the gorilla, so that he could begin to doubt the "body-picture" argument for their own end, because, in that video, the gorilla might just have been brainwashed to take its end for granted, from some (third person) pictures. This shows how much self-consciousness can delude us and makes us confusing first person views and third person descriptions. Of course such an illusion/ confusion are reasonable from a darwinian short term struggle of life perspective. The more you have neurons, the more you *can* be deluded, and 'nature" exploits that fact.

David Nyman replied:

On the other hand:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beCYGm1vMJ0

Well, yes, this is definitely convincing :)