Hi Stephen Lin,

On 06 Jun 2011, at 08:26, Stephen Lin wrote:

Hi all,

If you generalize this further, doesn't it imply that the universal
dove tailer is all of existence, taking turns computing each other? So
"you" and the "universe around you" take turns computing each other
one step at time.

Yes that is the theory under consideration. But you should say: "all of the needed ontological existence". A big part of existence is also epistemological. Indeed, the point is that the physical laws and universe are epistemological, and derivable from machine's psychology (or theology). This makes comp a scientific theory in the common Popperian sense. Some physical observable facts might contradict comp, but up to now, we can say that quantum physics rather confirms the comp assumption. With computationalism (which is just the digital form of Descartes mechanism) most of quantum weirdness (including the possibility of quantum computation) are derivable from arithmetic. My question is: are hamiltonians physical or geographical? Same question for the physical constants.

In fact, that means, any two people in the world may actually be the
"same" person, except taking steps computing each other one step at a
time.

This might depend by what you mean by "person".

So you and "I" might be exactly the same person, under some
appropriate coordinate transformation!

I tend to believe that "personal identity" is an "illusion", like primary matter or physicalism. We might be all the universal machine (for which there is already a notion of personhood), with different experiences. But this can only be interesting if we can sense this in a way or another, when alive or dead. Drugs providing amnesia might be interesting with that respect.

Bruno

Food for thought.

Stephen Lin