On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 2:31 PM, B Soroud <bsor...@gmail.com> wrote:

> lol, you still believe in the dream of God = truth/reality.
>
> Truth/Reality?
>
> nice one!

What is wrong with equating all of truth and all of reality with God?  The
existence of the whole of that which exists is indisputable (by definition),
so calling it God is a matter of taste, one which many religions seem to
agree with:

The supreme God Brahman is defined as: "the eternal, unchanging, infinite,
immanent, and transcendent reality which is the Divine Ground of all matter,
energy, time, space, being, and everything beyond in this Universe."

"Among Hindu sects, Advaita Vedanta espouses monism. The closest
interpretation of the term can be found in the Taittiriya Upanishad (II.1)
where Brahman is described as satyam jnanam anantam brahman ("Brahman is of
the nature of truth, knowledge and infinity"). Thus, Brahman is the origin
and end of all things, material or otherwise. Brahman is the root source and
Divine Ground of everything that exists, and is the only thing that exists
according to Shankara. It is defined as unknowable and Satchitananda
("Truth-Consciousness-Bliss"). Since it is eternal and infinite, it
comprises the only truth. The goal of Vedanta is to realize that the soul
(Atman) is actually nothing but Brahman. The Hindu pantheon of gods is said,
in the Vedas and Upanishads, to be only higher manifestations of Brahman.
For this reason, "ekam sat" ("Truth is one"), and all is Brahman. "

>From the Brahma Samhita:
"I worship Govinda, the primeval Lord, whose effulgence is the source of the
nondifferentiated Brahman mentioned in the Upanishads, being differentiated
from the infinity of glories of the mundane universe appears as the
indivisible, infinite, limitless, truth."

Regardinga Maya: "In most of Hinduism and Transcendentalism, all matter is
believed to be an illusion called Maya, blinding us from knowing the truth.
Maya is the limited, purely physical and mental reality in which our
everyday consciousness has become entangled. Maya gets destroyed for a
person when they perceive Brahman with transcendental knowledge."

"The concept of Brahman as the single formless transcendent 'being of
absolute existence' that is the origin and support of the phenomenal
universe, is nearly identical to that of YHWH, the concept of 'God' in
Judaism. The term YHWH comes from the Semitic root הוה 'howa', to exist, and
is connected with something that is self-sustaining or self-existent, is the
cause of all existence, and the totality of the phenomenal universe that
brings everything into being."

Among the 99 names of God in Islam:
Al-Wāsi'     The Vast, The All-Embracing, The Omnipresent, The Boundless
Al-Ḥaqq     The Truth, The Real
Al-Wāḥid     The One, The Unique
Al-'Aḥad     The Unity, The Indivisible
Aṣ-Ṣamad     The Eternal, The Absolute, The Self-Sufficient
Al-Bāqīy     The Immutable, The Infinite, The Everlasting

Some of the names of Krishna:
Achala - Still Lord
Parabrahmana - The Supreme Absolute Truth
Sanatana - The Eternal Lord
Sarvajana - Omniscient Lord

The root Mantra of the Sikh religion begins: "there is one creator, whose
name is truth..."

In Buddhism: Samantabhadra Buddha declares of itself:
"I am the core of all that exists. I am the seed of all that exists. I am
the cause of all that exists. I am the trunk of all that exists. I am the
foundation of all that exists. I am the root of existence. I am "the core"
because I contain all phenomena. I am "the seed" because I give birth to
everything. I am "the cause" because all comes from me. I am "the trunk"
because the ramifications of every event sprout from me. I am "the
foundation" because all abides in me. I am called "the root" because I am
everything."

*Quotes:*

"Geometry existed before the creation, it is co-eternal with the mind of
God, Geometry provided god with a model for creation, Geometry is God
himself." -- Kepler

"To all of us who hold the Christian belief that God is truth, anything that
is true is a fact about God, and mathematics is a branch of theology."  --
Hilda Phoebe Hudson

"The laws of nature are but the mathematical thoughts of God."  -- Euclid

"I would say with those who say ‘God is Love’, God is Love.  But deep down
in me I used to say that though God may be Love, God is Truth above all.  If
it is possible for the human tongue to give the fullest description of God,
I have come to the conclusion that God is Truth.  Two years ago I went a
step further and said that Truth is God.  You will see the fine distinction
between the two statements, ‘God is Truth’ and ‘Truth is God’.  I came to
that conclusion after a continuous and relentless search after truth which
began fifty years ago.  I then found that the nearest approach to truth was
through love.  But I also found that love has many meanings in the English
language and that human love in the sense of passion could become a
degrading thing.  I found too that love in the sense of ahimsa [nonviolence,
roughly] had only a limited number of votaries in the world.  But I never
found a double meaning in connection with truth and even atheists had not
demurred to the necessity of power of truth.  But in their passion for
discovering truth, atheists have not hesitated to deny the very existence of
God – from their point of view rightly.  It was because of this reasoning
that I saw that rather than say that God is Truth, I should say that Truth
is God.  Add to this the great difficulty, that millions have taken the name
of God and in His name committed nameless atrocities.  Not that the
scientists very often do not commit atrocities in the name of Truth.  Then
there is another thing in Hindu philosophy, namely, God alone is and nothing
else exists, and the same truth you see emphasized and exemplified in the
kalma of Islam.  And there you find it clearly stated that God alone is, and
nothing else exists.  In fact, the Sanskrit word for truth is a word which
literally means that which exists, sat.  For these and many other reasons, I
have come to the conclusion that the definition – Truth is God – gives me
the greatest satisfaction.  And when you want to find Truth as God, the only
inevitable means is love, that is, non-violence, and since I believe that
ultimately the means and ends are convertible terms, I should not hesitate
to say that God is love." -- Gandhi

>From the above, it should be clear that the idea that God = Truth = Reality,
is hardly a new or strange idea.

Jason