Another good Schrodinger quote:

"Scientific theories serve to facilitate the survey of our observations and
experimental findings. Every scientist knows how difficult it is to remember
a moderately extended group of facts, before at least some primitive
theoretical picture about them has been shaped. It is therefore small
wonder, and by no means to be blamed on the authors of original papers or of
text-books, that after a reasonably coherent theory has been formed, they do
not describe the bare facts they have found or wish to convey to the reader,
but clothe them in the terminology of that theory or theories. This
procedure, while very useful for our remembering the facts in a well-ordered
pattern, tends to obliterate the distinction between the actual observations
and the theory arisen from them. And since the former always are of some
sensual quality, theories are easily thought to account for sensual
qualities; which, of course, they never do."

In a similar vein, Democritus’s imagined conversation between the
intellect and the senses:

“Intellect: ‘Color is by convention, sweet by convention, bitter by
convention; in truth there are but atoms and the void.’

Senses: ‘Wretched mind, from us you are taking the evidence by which you
would overthrow us?  Your victory is your own fall.’”

Rex