On Wed, Jul 06, 2011 at 10:52:49AM -0700, meekerdb wrote:
> >The question is, when was the colour of the dinosaur established as a
> >fact? Many of us many worlders would argue it wasn't established
> >until the photonics measurement was made - there was no 'matter of
> >fact' about the dinosaur colour prior to that.
>
> If the decoherence theory of how the classical arises from QM, the
> color became a classical fact in our branch of the universe a very
> long time ago.

I'm aware of this alternate formulation of QM, but think that has
problems of its own. This is why I tried to phrase the gedanken
experiment in terms of plain vanilla QM which has no decoherence. The
truth, I suspect, lies somewhere in the middle - ie a decoherence-like
effect will probably prove essential to stabilise the classical world.

Cheers