On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 8:17 AM, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Not sure what the cogito has to do with the presumption of the
> necessity of color. Omnipotence solves all problems by definition,
> doesn't it? I'm just using it as an example to show that it's
> ridiculous to think that the idea of color can just happen in a
> physical environment that doesn't already support it a priori. It does
> not evolve as a consequence of natural selection, not only because it
> serves no special function that unconscious detection would not
> accomplish, but because there is no precursor for it to evolve from,
> no mechanism for cells or organs to generate perception of color were
> it not already a built in possibility. I'm saying that color
> perception is more unlikely to exist in a purely physical cosmos than
> time travel or omnipotence as a possible physical adaptation. I'm
> trying to get at Jason's radical underestimation of the gap between
> zoological necessity and the possibility of color's existence.
I think the problem with Chalmer's view, is that by assuming a universe
without qualia (or philosophical zombies) are possible, it inevitably leads
to substance dualism or epiphenominalism.  If zombies are possible, it means
that consciousness is something extra which can be taken away without
affecting anything.  Thus, conscious would have no effects, which I think is
against your view.  Are you familiar with this:
If not, it can give you a feel for why zombies may be logically impossible.
So what is your thought on this subject?  Can a universe exist just like
ours but have different qualia or none at all?

My view is that qualia are necessary and identical anywhere an identical
processing of information, at some substitution level, is performed.  Thus,
if it is done by a computer or a human, or a human in this universe or
another universe, or a computer in this universe or a person in a different
universe, the resulting qualia will be the same, because I believe qualia
are a property of the mind, not a property of the physics on which the mind
is built.