On 19 Jul 2011, at 21:16, meekerdb wrote:

On 7/19/2011 11:32 AM, ronaldheld wrote:
Given limited resources and for only 1 program, it does not seem
logical to learn LISP. Are there Windows or DOS executables of the UD?
FWIW. I use MAPLE and not Mathematica.
               Ronald

Maple is based on LISP. An executable UD wouldn't be very interesting. Since it doesn't halt what would you do with it? It's the program itself that is more interesting.

Absolutely. Even more important is the understanding that the UD, and its mathematical execution is embedded in the first order arithmetical true relation. This is not obvious, nor easy to prove. But it is proved in any accurate proof of Gödel's theorem for arithmetic.

Also, I would say to Ronald that it is easy to write a code for the UD in any language. I guess it will be a tedious work in a language like Fortran, but that might be a good exercise in programming. But again, you are right: it makes no sense to program a UD. The running is infinite. The only reasons to program it are pedagogical and illustrative.