It depends entirely on the degree to which the neurons are modified or
artificial. If you replace some parts of a care with ones made out of
chewing gum or ice, they may work for a while under particular
conditions, temperatures, etc. Think of how simple an artificial heart
is by comparison to even a single neuron, let alone a brain. It's a
pump with a regular beat. Yet, the longest anyone has survived with
one is seven years.

All I'm saying is that for something to function identically to a
neuron, it must in all likelihood be a living organism, and to be a
living organism, it's likely that it needs to be composed of complex
organic molecules. Not due to the specific magic of organic
configurations but due to the extraordinary level of fidelity required
to reproduce the tangible feelings produced by living organisms, and
the critical role those feelings likely play in the aggregation of
what we consider to be consciousness. Consciousness is made of
feelings themselves, and their behaviors, their internal consistency
and not just the neurological behaviors which are associated with
them. It is a first person experience, completely undetectable in
third person.

Or, to use your car analogy, would the replaceable parts of a car
include a driver? Are all drivers capable of driving the car in the
same way? A blind person can physically drive the car, push the
pedals, turn the wheel. Can a blind or unconscious nucleus drive a
neuron?

Craig