On 7/21/2011 2:55 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 21 Jul 2011, at 00:14, meekerdb wrote:

On 7/20/2011 2:59 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote:
What does consciousness require?

Interaction with the world.

But what is a world? Also, assuming computationalism, you need only to believe that you interact with a "world/reality", whatever that is, like in dream. If not you *do* introduce some magic in both consciousness and world.

So I need to believe some magic or I have to introduce some magic. That seems a distinction without a difference.

Information processing. Memory. A point of view; i.e. model of the world including self. Purpose/values.

OK. Although "conscious purpose" is already a high form of consciousness, it might be self-consciousness.

I think there are different kinds and levels of consciousness, awareness, cogitation. Purpose need not be something reflected on. Even simple animals have purpose hardwired in their genes.