On 7/22/2011 2:11 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
But what is a world? Also, assuming computationalism, you need only to believe that you interact with a "world/reality", whatever that is, like in dream. If not you *do* introduce some magic in both consciousness and world.

So I need to believe some magic or I have to introduce some magic. That seems a distinction without a difference.

With comp the only magic is 0, 1, 2, 3, + addition + multiplication.

But is that the *only* magic. It seems to me that your argument includes the magic of the UD. If I understand it, it says that if a UD is running it executes all possible programs. Among those programs are ones that are simulations of Everett's multiverse, such as we may inhabit, including the simulations of ourselves. Consciousness is some part of the information processing in those simulations of us; where the the same conscious state is realized in many different programs and so has many different continuations and predecessors.

But all this is a hypothetical depending on a UD. And aside from the problem that prima facie it will produce more chaotic non-lawlike experiences than law-like ones, there is no reason to suppose a UD exists. This explanation of the world is very much like Boltzmann's brain. It generates "everything" and then tries to pick out "this".

Brent

With non-comp the magic is primitive matter + primitive physical laws + primitive consciousness + non intelligible links between all those things.