On Jul 23, 7:22 pm, Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 6:05 PM, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com>wrote:
> > I think that electrons are a way of modeling the exterior behavior of
> > the sensorimotive nature of matter on the molecular level. I'm not
> > sure that they exist independently of groups of atoms, might be more
> > like a measure of how wound up an atom can be.
>
> So what about electrons in wires or silicon?  Do they become less or more
> "sensorimotive" depending on their conductive medium?

I would guess that the sensorimotive experience of an electrically
stimulated wire is indeed different than stimulated np junctions,
diodes, resisters, etc, but all within a narrow range relative to a
the palette of sensorimotive qualia that a protozoa can experience. I
can imagine that the experience of a microprocessor is comparable to
the outermost experience we might have of a driving through a suburban
traffic grid. Stops and starts. Power and velocity variations.
Instrumental focus. Maybe a resistor is like speed bumps, a capacitor
is like climbing a steep hill, a heat sink is like a parking lot...

> In seriousness though, if your theory became widely adopted it could lead to
> the enslavement of intelligent machines.  The claims made by the machines
> that they *are* conscious, and *do* feel would be written off as kinks in
> their programming.
>
> Imagine if the situation were reversed, and the machines concluded that only
> silicon can yield consciousness.  What could we humans say or do to dissuade
> them?

That's a good point too, although I'm assuming that we are planning on
enslaving intelligent machines no matter what. I would be satisfied
though with first hand reports of people with large portions of their
brains replaced with silicon appliances. If people were able to
temporarily go 90% silicon and go back without any loss of experience,
then I would buy the possibility of machine substitution at the neuron
level. That would be what we humans could say or do - demand that
human silicon hybrids be constructed.

Craig