On Aug 4, 8:31 pm, Stathis Papaioannou <stath...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 9:13 PM, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> In fact, even
> >> you might not be conscious.
>
> > It is not possible to doubt that you are conscious, because doubt
> > itself is a form of consciousness.
>
> But the part of your brain that is doing the doubting, which might be
> normal,

If the part of your brain doing the doubting is 'normal' enough for
you to experience doubt, then you are conscious to that extent. It's
very straightforward. There is no point in overthinking it.

> could be fed signals about perceptual data (perception
> involves consciousness by definition) from non-conscious machinery.
> The technical issues re this machinery are irrelevant: it is only
> necessary to consider that it is *possible* to provide the appropriate
> electrochemical signals without also providing consciousness (the
> hypothesis entertained in order to disprove it).

Consciousness isn't provided. It's not a service. It's like saying
that mass is being provided to an object.

>You would thus believe
> you had perceptions when in fact you had none.

Signals from an artificial source are still perceptions. When I play
an mp3 it comes from a speaker rather than a miniature musician. I can
tell the difference, and I can hear the song. There is no mystery
there, it's just how sense works. It's not a substance that travels
through space like a projectile, it's the 'wholes that are pulled
through the holes'.

> that could be the case
> now: you could be completely blind, deaf, lacking in emotion but you
> behave normally and don't realise that anything is wrong. Please think
> about this paragraph carefully before replying to it - it is
> essentially the whole argument and you seem to have misunderstood it.

I have thought about it many times. Like 25 years ago. It's the
reductio ad absurdum of materialism. You can't seem to let go of the
idea that perception is perception whether it happens completely
within your own dreamworld, through the tailpipe of some computerized
lawnmower, or a crystal clear presentation of external realities. It.
makes. no. difference. Having a thought, any thought, any experience
whatsoever and being aware of that fact is consciousness. Period. It
doesn't matter if you have a brain or not, or what other people
observe of your behavior. Unless you are talking about a medical
definition of being conscious as far as exhibiting signs of responsive
to the outside world, which is something else entirely. That would
only be relevant for something which we assume to be capable of
consciousness in the first place.

> [...]
> > reference, because experience doesn't 'exist', it insists. Descartes
> > wasn't right about everything, but the reason that the cogito still
> > resonates with it's powerful simple truth, is that it cannot be
> > denied.
>
> > Once you have a foothold on this immutable fact, you can reconcile it
> > with the immutable facts of science and realize that they are a mirror
> > image of each other rather than a phenomenon-epiphenomenon. They occur
> > on the same phenomenon~phenomenon equivalence level. Existence is a
> > form of insistence, and insistence is a form of existence. They are a
> > single involuted continuum, but they are never the same thing within a
> > single PRIF (Perceptual Relativity Inertial Frame) so that my
> > subjective sensorimotive experience can only look like the consequence
> > of electromagnetic activity to you. This is how the cosmos works. This
> > is the solution to the mind-body problem.
>
> >  It's up to you now, whether to interiorize this idea, to under-stand
> > (settle within you) it as your own truth, or to see it as an enemy
> > idea - a threat to the self which must be defended against through
> > accusation or inference, suspicion, literalism, intolerance,
> > sophistry, etc. All of these tools will help restore your interiority
> > to a state of satisfaction, to reassure you that surely this idea has
> > no place in pretending at truth. If, however, you apply the spirit of
> > science rather than the letter, you might be obliged to run your
> > counter-examples in reverse. What idea is it that you are actually
> > defending?
>
> > What if you pretend I'm right and argue it that way, just out of
> > curiosity to see if you might have some confirmation bias? Treat your
> > own views as you would astrology. Assume that you only believe what
> > you believe because evolutionary biology has wound up making you as an
> > entity that thinks it wants to win a debate; because he thinks it will
> > get him food and sex, and that his opinion on it is the meaningless
> > arithmetic of a protein and sugar machine designed to keep it's body
> > alive. If I want you to believe what I'm saying, I have only to modify
> > your behavior, mechanically, or with reward & punishment conditioning
> > so that you will act like you believe it. How will you know that you
> > don't believe it?
>
> > The universe leaves it up to you. If you want to doubt that your life
> > exists, you are free to do that. You can imagine that you are a
> > transparent, egoless window of logical observation on the universe,
> > and because of how the cosmos works, your observations will support
> > that. It's not a coincidence. If you want to imagine that you are the
> > universe, and that every moment of your life is part of a divine
> > order, and that your thoughts are connected with that order directly,
> > your expectations will be supported in that too. 'What the thinker
> > thinks, the prover proves.'
>
> I'm afraid I don't really understand what you're saying.

Are you serious? I'm starting to think that you are trolling me.

>I just want
> to know if a machine that behaved as if it were conscious

I just want to know how many times I can repeat the phrase 'there is
no such thing as 'behaving as if it were conscious' before you
acknowledge the meaning of it.

>would in
> fact be conscious. I think it would,

You are free to think whatever you want under my model. If you're
right about consciousness being just a brain behavior, in which case
you can only think what your neurology makes you think. In that case
you might as well stop reading because there's no point in imagining
you can have an opinion about anything.

> otherwise it is possible that I
> am currently deluded about being conscious, which is absurd.

I've gone over and over and over this. A puppet 'behaves like it is
conscious' when it is being manipulated by a puppeteer. Does that mean
the puppet is conscious? You're just affirming a fallacious initial
assumption that consciousness is a behavior rather than an elaboration
of an intrinsic quality of all matter. There is certainly a range of
awareness in matter, so that behavior can generally indicate what
level of awareness something is capable of experiencing, but that goes
out the window when you are talking about intentionally simulating the
kinds of behaviors we would tend to associate with beings similar to
ourselves.

Being 'deluded about being conscious is a true non-sequitur'. Delusion
is consciousness too. A brick cannot be deluded. A computer cannot be
deluded. A brain cannot be deluded. A person can be deluded - because
they are the cumulatively entangled sensorimotive interior of a human
brain, which contains many ambiguous and conflicting fugues of
significance, organized dynamically and hierarchically through
metaphor and association, image, instinct, etc on many different
levels of awareness above and below the conscious threshold.

Craig