On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 3:50 AM, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Because we are human and we know that we are conscious so we can
> assume that other things which resemble us are also human and also
> conscious. I wouldn't assume any such thing for a machine.

There is no way to be sure other humans are conscious. In fact, even
you might not be conscious. I assume you think you're conscious, but
you would still think that if you had a consciousness-destroying
(according to you) brain lesion that left your neurons functioning
normally, such as inactivation of DNA. It might have happened a minute
ago to most of your brain; how could you know that it had not?

Stathis Papaioannou