> If your visual cortex is replaced by an electronic device that
> produces the appropriate outputs at its borders, the rest of your
> brain will respond normally.

This is just an assumption. I guess that at present one cannot prove or disprove it. Let me quote an opposite assumption from Jeffrey Gray (p. 232, section 15.5 Consciousness in a brain slice?)

"Might it be the case that, if one put a slice of V4 in a dish in this way, it could continue to sustain colour qualia? Functionalists have a clear answer to this question: no, because a slice of V4, disconnected from its normal visual inputs and motor outputs, cannot discharge the functions associated with the experience of colour. But, if we had a theory that started, not from function, but from brain tissue, maybe it would give a different answer. Alas, no such theory is to hand. Worse, even one had been proposed, there is no known way of detecting qualia in a brain slice!".

Evgenii
http://blog.rudnyi.ru