On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 5:20 PM, meekerdb<meeke...@verizon.net>  wrote:

This example is not specific to brain replacement with artificial
parts. It could be that a biological brain contains intelligent
subsystems that don't communicate with the person they are
implementing.
In my hypothetical example the subsystem does communicate - when it has
something to say.  The question is whether it contributing to consciousness
all along?  This not really very hypothetical since we are all familiar with
the Poincare effect and in general have thoughts pop into consciousness
without any conscious predecessors.
What's the Poincare effect? I don't get a clear answer when I Google
it. Is it the same as the butterfly effect?

No.

http://www.mathlearningcenter.org/resources/gene/archive/attending_to_the_subconscious