On 14/08/2011, at 1:14 PM, meekerdb<meeke...@verizon.net>  wrote:

In the recent posts I do not propose any theory of consciousness, I am
just interested in whether consciousness would be preserved if I had
my brain replaced with artificial components. If the answer is "yes"
that still does not explain why we are conscious at all or how
consciousness is generated.

"Preserved" is ambiguous.  If you mean "unchanged" then I don't think the
argument shows that, since the replacement part has some part of consciousness associated with it
which could be different even though the interface with the biological part is perfectly replicated
for almost all possible input/output.
The replacement part could have a separate consciousness associated with it but
it must still leave the consciousness of the brain unchanged if it replicates
the I/O behaviour at the interface.

I agree if it replicates the I/O for all possible histories. But imagine that the AI part is thinking about the Riemann conjecture for many years and never communicates anything about it to the bio part; except finally it discovers a proof and communicates it. Did the person suddenly expand his consciousness? Is this just an instance of the Poincare effect?