On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 5:48 AM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

>> The replacement part could have a separate consciousness associated with
>> it but it must still leave the consciousness of the brain unchanged if it
>> replicates the I/O behaviour at the interface.
>>

> I agree if it replicates the I/O for all possible histories.  But imagine
> that the AI part is thinking about the Riemann conjecture for many years and
> never communicates anything about it to the bio part; except finally it
> discovers a proof and communicates it.  Did the person suddenly expand his
> consciousness?  Is this just an instance of the Poincare effect?

This example is not specific to brain replacement with artificial
parts. It could be that a biological brain contains intelligent
subsystems that don't communicate with the person they are
implementing. Maybe individual neurons wonder at the greater
significance of their toil and worry about whether they will get the
neurotransmitter loaded up and ready in time for the when the next
action potential hits them. Maybe my liver has gained sentience and is
even now attempting to communicate with me via Morse code by
modulating bile output.

--
Stathis Papaioannou