On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 12:47 AM, Evgenii Rudnyi <use...@rudnyi.ru> wrote:

>> How could the rest of your brain possibly respond differently if it
>> receives exactly the same stimulation? Perhaps you mean that it
>> would be able to tell that there is an artificial device there due
>> to electric fields and so on; but in that case the artificial device
>> is not appropriately reproducing the I/O behaviour of the original
>> tissue.
>
> The question is what does it mean the same stimulation. I guess that you
> mean now only electrical signals. However, it well might be the qualia plays
> the role as well.

The artificial device must replicate all the I/O behaviour of the
original neurons at the interface with the rest of the brain. This is
purely a problem for engineers who neither know nor care about qualia.
The question is, given that the engineering problem is solved, would
consciousness necessarily be preserved? I think it would, because
otherwise we would have a partial zombie.

> If I understand you correctly, you presume that conscious experience could
> be resolved within 'normal science' (there is no Hard Problem). Jeffrey Gray
> on the other hand acknowledges the Hard Problem and he believes that a new
> scientific theory will be needed to solve it.

In the recent posts I do not propose any theory of consciousness, I am
just interested in whether consciousness would be preserved if I had
my brain replaced with artificial components. If the answer is "yes"
that still does not explain why we are conscious at all or how
consciousness is generated.

--
Stathis Papaioannou