On 8/15/2011 7:08 PM, Jason Resch wrote:

        just like you can simulate flight if you simulate the
environment you are flying in.

But do we need to simulate the entire atmosphere in order to simulate
flight, or just the atmosphere in the immediate area around the surfaces
of the plane?  Likewise, it seems we could take shortcuts in simulating
the environment surrounding a mind and get the behavior we are after.

Why simulate?  Why not create a robot with sensors so it can interact
the natural environment.

Brent

[Colin]

Hi Brent,

There seems to be another confusion operating here. What makes you think
I am not creating a robot with sensors? What has this got to do with
simulation?

1)      Having sensors is not simulation. Humans have sensors...eg
retina.

2)      The use of sensors does not connect the robot to the environment
in any unique way. The incident photon could have come across the room
or the galaxy. Nobody tells a human which, yet the brain sorts it out.

3)      A robot brain based on replication uses sensors like any other
robot.

4)      What I am saying is that the replication approach will handle
the sensors like a human brain handles sensors.

Of course we don't have to simulate the entire universe to simulate
flight. The fact is we simulate _some_ of the environment in order that
flight simulation works. It's a simulation. It's not flight. This has
nothing to do with the actual problem of real embedded embodied
cognition of an unknown external environment by an AGI. You don't know
it! You are 'cognising' to find out about it. You can't simulate it and
the sensors don't give you enough info. If a human supplies that info
then you're grounding the robot in the human's cognition, not supplying
the robot with its own cognition.

In replication there is no simulating going on! There is inorganic,
artificially derived natural processes identical to what is going on in
a natural brain. Literally. A brain has action potential comms. A brain
has EM comms. Therefore a replicated brain will have the SAME action
potentials mutually interacting with the same EM fields. The replicant
chips will have an EEG/MEG signature like a human. There is no computing
of anything. There is inorganic version of the identical processes going
on in a real brain.

I hope we're closer to being on the same page.

Colin