On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 4:51 AM, Evgenii Rudnyi <use...@rudnyi.ru> wrote:

> In my view, any experiment is based on some assumptions (a world view). To
> this end, it would be nice to understand what a world view would be
> necessary to state that "the thermostat feels cold". I guess it is certainly
> possible to introduce new definitions under which such a statement would
> make sense. Yet, someone must first do it.
>
> Let me give one example. Dick and Natalie are writing a book "Embryogenesis
> explained" and in in the first chapter they use an expression "bacteria can
> perceive". To understand the meaning of such a statement I have chosen a
> ballcock
>
> http://blog.rudnyi.ru/2011/01/perception-feedback-and-qualia.html
>
> It might be also a good example to ask if a toilette with a ballcock has
> consciousness or not, I believe that even a nice example as a thermostat.
> Yet, if we are back to the discussion about "bacteria can perceive", then
> the answer was that yes, perceive was considered at the level of an
> automatic door. In the sense that an automatic door also perceives. Then I
> have nothing against, it is matter of a definition.

Maybe the ballcock, automatic door and thermostat have feelings like
you and I do when we experience cold, pain and so on. Sure, they don't
have high level information processing but how do you know that
prevents them having such experiences? There is no test you can do,
since qualia are necessarily private.

--
Stathis Papaioannou